LepreCon wishes to provide a safe, hospitable, harassment-free convention experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental ability or disability, physical appearance, coloration, physical attributes, age, body size, body shape, race, ethnicity, citizenship status, employment, socioeconomic status, financial status, familial status, military or veteran status, achievements, national origin, ancestry, worldview, political party preference, political belief, political affiliation, operating systems, platform preference, programming language, text editor preference, creed, or religion (or lack thereof). The purpose of this policy is to deter and address harassment and harmful conduct, not to limit consensual interaction and free and open discussion.
We expect all attendees, participants, guests, members, volunteers, and staff to act responsibly, courteously, and considerately, and to follow this code of conduct during all conventions, convention-related events, and LepreCon meetings.
“Yes” means yes, “no” means no, and “maybe” means no. Please take “no” for an answer for any request or activity and do not repeat your request again. Do not corner people socially–if someone is looking apprehensive or trapped, give them space. If someone tells you to go away or to leave him or her alone, your business with that person is done and you should not attempt to initiate further contact with that person.
No touching or photographing other people without consent. This includes glomping, hugging, kissing, fondling, and hands on knees, backs, shoulders, and hair–ask first! The fact that someone is in costume does not imply consent for photographs or touching–ask first! Obtain permission before posting images of people or recordings of the convention online. Do not assume that physical contact will be welcome or appreciated. Some folks do not like to be touched and will respect and like you more if you respect their personal space. You are encouraged to ask for unequivocal consent for all activities.
LepreCon welcomes families with children and expects all attendees, participants, guests, members, and staff to treat these families with courtesy. Use of explicit sexual language and imagery should be limited to panels, events, and situations where those in attendance know that such content may be presented. Parents or guardians should be aware not all panels or events may be suitable for children. Parents or guardians bringing children are responsible for the children’s behavior.
LepreCon does not tolerate harmful conductor harassment of or by attendees, participants, guests, members, volunteers, and staff in any form. Harmful conduct or harassment is verbal or physical conduct that creates an unpleasant or hostile situation. This includes, but is not limited to:
- disregarding the safety of other persons;
- theft or robbery;
- intentional destruction of property;
- deliberate intimidation;
- deliberate impeding or blocking another’s movement;
- sexual attention, gestures, questions, or comments that are known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome;
- sexual advances or propositions that are known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome;
- sexual advances or propositions toward a person under the age of 18;
- making or threatening reprisals after receiving a negative response to sexual advances or propositions;
- inappropriate and non-consensual physical contact, including pinching, grabbing, patting, groping, or brushing against another’s body;
- repeated heckling, interruption, or other disruption of panels or other events or meetings;
- photography or audio- or video-recording without the subject’s consent;
- posting images or content on the internet, Facebook, or other media without the consent of the subject of the image or content, or not removing images or content you have been asked to take down by the subject of the image or content;
- providing or offering to provide alcoholic beverages or illegal substances to someone under the age of 21;
- threatening, bullying, hectoring, coercion, or any other abusive conduct that has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with another person’s ability to enjoy and participate in the convention, convention-related events, and LepreCon meetings;
- inappropriate verbal comments or gestures related to gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental ability or disability, physical appearance, coloration, physical attributes, age, body size, body shape, race, ethnicity, citizenship status, employment, socioeconomic status, financial status, familial status, military or veteran status, achievements, national origin, ancestry, worldview, political party preference, political belief, political affiliation, operating systems, platform preference, programming language, text editor preference, creed, or religion (or lack thereof);
- falsely accusing an innocent person of harassment; or
- any other action or behavior that causes significant interference with convention operations, adversely affects the convention’s relationship with its venues or the public, or causes excessive discomfort to other attendees, participants, guests, members, volunteers, or staff.
Reasonable and objective examination of beliefs, including critical commentary on another person’s views, does not by itself constitute harassment. One of the underlying rationales of this policy is to promote–not inhibit–discussion and free exchanges of ideas between persons of differing views. Furthermore, the responsibility for settling interpersonal disputes lies solely with the individuals involved, and LepreCon will not tolerate being used as a leveraging point in such disputes.
Persons asked to stop any harmful conduct or harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. The exact remedy for harmful conduct or harassing conduct will depend on an evaluation of all relevant circumstances, such as the severity of the conduct and prior violations by the person engaging in prohibited conduct. Anyone violating this policy may be expelled from the meeting, event, or convention without a refund at the discretion of the convention organizers, and sanctions may include permanent suspension of membership in LepreCon. When there is a reasonable basis for believing the conduct is illegal, appropriate law enforcement authorities will be notified.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed or engaging in harmful conduct, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of convention staff or a LepreCon Board member immediately. Convention staff can be identified by special badges.
Where convention staff or a LepreCon Board member witnesses to the prohibited conduct, immediate remedial action may be taken. Where a report of harmful conduct or harassment is made to convention staff or a LepreCon Board member after the conduct has occurred, reasonable measures will be taken to establish the facts. This will typically include discussion with witnesses, if any, and the person accused of engaging in the prohibited conduct. Inquiries into harmful conduct or harassing conduct will be carried out as confidentially as possible given the circumstances.
Convention staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the convention. We value your attendance.